Monday, October 4, 2010

day 18_Getting the 'hang of it'

Today (Monday) actually turned out to be a pretty good day!

After dragging myself out of bed... which seems to be impossible with my new little cocoon box - I have the hardest time waking up! That little nook and the big comfy down comforter don't help - I headed to work for the first time from my new place. I rode the MRT (this is the rail/metro here) and switched lines like I was supposed to. I took fresh fruit with me for breakfast, from my grocery shopping this weekend, and leftovers for my lunch. I was set!

Today after work on my way back to the MRT was the first time since my arrival that the weather has been cooler (yay!). I headed home, changed into some more comfortable clothes before heading out to find dinner... I finally reached the point in my time here that I felt confident enough to venture out on my own and order at an all-Chinese, no English restaurant! [Today must have been a good day] <<< Just as a side note, I have already gone through this whole ordering in Chinese thing before, but it was 4 years ago... and I am more than a little rusty!>>>

I chose the same restaurant where Emmy & I dined last week, thinking that at least if I failed at ordering, the woman might recognize me and have pity on me/help me out somehow... but it all worked out, don't worry! I ordered beef noodles (as opposed to beef noodle soup), I am sure of this since I just recently studied the Chinese menu with Emmy... but nonetheless the woman served me beef noodle soup. I thought about trying to explain it to her, but like every other meal where I don't know for certain what I've bought, I decided to just go with it. The soup was.... awesome! That was the best beef, big juicy pieces slow cooked in a rich broth, that I have had since I arrived here in Taiwan!

Now, as I type, I have my windows open with a nice breeze blowing through my apartment, and I am listening to the hum of my laundry spinning in the background... this time with both softener and detergent in the wash. ;)

All in all, I think it was a great day.

1 comment:

  1. Kudos to you for being so adventurous and going with the flow. Your path is definitely not for everyone.

    ReplyDelete