Tuesday, September 21, 2010

day 4 [part II]_My New Office Family

So, the first day ofwork:
I arrived at work early - around 8am, not wanting to be late - only to discover that the average employee arrives between 9 and 9:30am... I should have known that from my contract, but I didn't think to review it Monday morning before work...

I found it very comical, as I was introduced to the employees at my neighboring desks that thier names are: Jason (husband's name), James (my father in law), and Nancy (mom)... So I am pretty much sitting among family at my desk! ;)  [Because it is common for Chinese natives to select an English name for themselves, it is always curious to learn what name they picked... for example, 'Nancy' is probably 28 years old... I've never met a Nancy that young in the US... the name isn't as common with younger generations in the States... very interesting :)]

After completing some administrative paperwork, they informed me that a client meeting had been moved up a few days, and I'd be joining on a meeting at Taipei101 - first day! Honestly, that filled most of the afternoon. I went and attended the hours long meeting, as an opportunity to meet our clients, even though the entire thing was conducted in Chinese... quite a time :) But the building really is amazing. So are the views!

Later, following work, I set out with a co-worker to view some apartments I'd found on Craigslist. Big disappointment - those are definitely not in the running. We wandered through a few all-Chinese realty companies on our walk back towards the office (so nice to have someone with me to translate & help!) and then finished off with an all-organic, all-veggie meal for dinner. By the time I got home I was exhausted! And still am a little... so more later! OH - work holiday tomorrow, so hopefully I will have some knowledge to share about that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment