Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Week 22 - Happy Valentine's Day



Here in Taipei, the Chinese have their own Valentine's holiday - 7th day of the 7th lunar month in the Chinese calendar, this year it is on August 6, 2011 (and in 2014, it will be on my wedding anniversary!). However, Taipei tends to embrace all American holidays from what I can tell - so of course, there were Valentine's sales and displays, etc, this week. Whether it is due to the influence of the international community here, or just the desire to celebrate two sets of holidays? It means the women get twice the occasion (think about that ladies...)

Blossoming tree branches.
Even the trees were celebrating the holiday!
...And they were gorgeous.
Much like in the US, Valentine's Day is a very commercialized holidays - mostly promoted by the chocolate and florist retailers. Taipei is a tropical island with an abundance of affordable flowers sold in the local markets for $3-4 per bundle... So, I saw most Valentine's paraphernalia from the chocolatiers [Godiva, Ferrero Rocher, and so on]. 


A small Godiva shop, dipping strawberries for Lovers.
[And totally skimping on the chocolate if you ask me! - Maybe they'll be double-dipped?]

I had fun taking some photos for my sweetheart with the LOVE sculpture (above). I have always loved this graphic, and now that I actually live nearby one of the sculptures, I have taken some time to learn about it! https://www.artsy.net/collection/robert-indiana-love

Other than that, the day was pretty much business as usual. I didn't try to dine at any fancy restaurants alone that evening... so I couldn't really say if it was a typical Monday night or not...

No comments: